Getting a Taxi is always a nightmare during the Singapore Formula 1 period. As a Taxi Driver, I would give tips and loopholes to get a taxi during the period.
Here we goes….
1) Let see a statement from LTA:
Non Operation of ERP Gantries during Race Week
As the ERP gantries may interfere with sensitive video transmission equipment used for the race, the following ERP gantries that are within the proximity of the race circuit will not be in operation. Vehicles going under these gantries during the specified dates and time will not be charged:
Non Operation Dates and Time
|New Bridge Road||
19 September (Thursday) & 20 September (Friday) between 6pm and 7pm
|South Bridge Road|
|ECP (eastbound) from Ophir Road||
19 September (Thursday) & 20 September (Friday) between 6pm and 8pm
19 September (Thursday) & 20 September (Friday) between 12pm and 8pm and 21 September (Saturday) between 12.30pm and 8pm
What does tell us… during these period, since there is not ERP Surcharge, generally there are more taxi in the area, such as, Suntec and surrounding areas, Bugis Junction and surrounding areas & People Park Complex and surrounding areas.
Do note that expected jam is this area too… (please try to avoid if you are driving there)
2. Getting a taxi after the race
Getting a taxi is always a nightmare with thousands of people going for a few taxi in the area. To encourage taxi driver to go and pick up the customer, certain period and location will have additional surcharge of $5 as shown below:
F1 Taxi Stands/Hotel Driveways Time Period Location Surcharge of $5
20 Sep 13 10.30pm – Midnight
21 – 22 Sep 13 9.30pm – Midnight
• Taxi stands (C18/C19) at Suntec City Towers 1 & 2 and 3 & 4
• Taxi stand (C25) at Suntec Convention Centre
• Taxi stands (C20/C21) at Millenia Walk and Millenia Tower
• Taxi stand (C09) at Funan DigitaLife Mall
• Taxi stand (C08) at Peninsula Excelsior Hotel
• Taxi stand (E32) at Hitachi Tower
• Taxi stand (E13) at Straits Trading Building
• Temporary taxi stand at The Concourse along Nicoll Highway
• Hotel Driveways at Conrad Centennial, The Pan Pacific, The Ritz-Carlton Millenia, Mandarin Oriental and Marina Mandarin • Hotel Driveways at Marina Bay Sands Casino, Marina Bay Sands MICE, Marina Bay Sands Towers 1 & 3
I will list down a few taxi stand/hotel in the area that does not carried surcharge which is within 200m of the designated taxi stand:
- OUE Taxi Stand
- Fullerton Hotel
- Fullerton Bay Hotel
- One Fullerton
- UOB Center
- UOB Plaza
- Six Battery Road (Opp Straits Trading Taxi Stand)
- One Marina Boulevard, One Raffles Quay, Marina Bay Financial Center, The Sail, John Hancock Building (these places that are more than 200m away)
- Grand Park City Hall Hotel
- Funan Center Taxi Stand along Hill Street
- The Adelphi
- The Treasury
- Centennial Tower
- Fairmont Hotel
- Raffles City
- Raffles Hotel
- Shaw Tower Taxi Stand
Also along the road pickup should not carry any surcharge apart from the designated locations.
This year, one particular location had their surcharge removed: Indoor Stadium Taxi Stand. Generally public would take free shuttle bus to that location to take other mode of public transport.
Note: I generally will not be in the non-surcharge location (if you know what I meant).
In summary, I hoped that by listing down all the location that does not carry surcharge, public will able to get their taxi on the lower cost. But remember, you might wait a little longer for a taxi unless you call for one.
Wishing you a enjoyable weekend watching Formula One.